Thursday, March 27, 2008

Where have all the ladies gone?

Last Saturday night I went to the birthday party of a good friend. She turned 29, and we all had a blast. Our husbands and/or significant others were all there, and it was just fabulous. We had dinner at the country club then went over to a single guy friend's house for drinks. This single guy friend is a little younger than the rest of us, but his house is not inhabited by children. It's a great place for my husband and others to break out the guitars and pick and grin.

We were having a grand time. We laughed, the men acted like men, and the girls acted like ladies. A few off-color jokes, but nothing too obscene. It was the most fun I've had in years. We sang all the great songs we grew up listening to, and a few oldies our parents made sure we learned.

Around 10:00 pm, however, a young posse of pre-schoolers waltzed in brandishing their cleavage and fishnets like super models on speed. I was taken aback to say the least. I have never heard such vulgar language spew from a the mouths of babes. And, when I say "babes" I mean youngsters, not hotties. These girls used words only sailors should utter in whispered tones. They spoke of the "old chick" at the bar they competed with for a bar stool. I wondered aloud to my mature friends, "I wonder hold old the 'old chicks' were. Perhaps 35?" I soon left feeling violated and deprived of a good, clean time.

I am writing this blog wondering, "Where have all the ladies gone?" I learned at an early age that a lady never uses foul language, and never picks a fight. I taught high school for one year, and I was astonished at how crass girls are becoming. There is no civility. Young girls lack the "mysterious ways" I was taught as an adolescent. Mama always said to leave the guy wanting just a little more. It was painfully clear what these girls wanted, and I wasn't about to set around and watch them try to lure the first available guy into something unspeakable. I'm fortunate that my husband can see this behavior for what it is -- girls with no self-respect demanding respect they don't deserve.

4 comments:

Valarie Lea said...

Having two teenage daughters, I know exactley the type of girls you are talking about. I try to teach my girls everyday to respect themselves. It is rediculous the way some of these girls act, and tha language. Its just not right. Where are there Mamas.

Kellie said...

I can help but wonder when and how it became socially acceptable for girls to behave that way. It's sad, really.

Yarni Gras! said...

well put. My mama once said 'just because some young man buys you dinner doesn't mean you have to be dessert!" hahahhahaha


BTW, Kellie sent me! Glad she did!

Shell said...

Hey! I just came across your blog and love it! I am from North Carolina...it's amazing how the southern states are so different from each other. The South shall rise again! And by that I mean: Southern manners, holding doors, talking to strangers (which I seem to do alot of), being sweet just because. From one Sweet Southern Girl to another, it's nice to meet you!
Shelliertyson@ctc.net